Projects

Friday, May 15, 2009

South Carolina BBQ Pork Sandwiches

As far as I am concerned there is nothing better than BBQ pork...I quiver with delight everytime I hear the words "I'll bring the pig".  Pulled pork, special vinegar and BBQ sauces, hot sauce, coleslaw and fresh bread.  My mouth is watering now.  But let's not forget the best part of a BBQ is the company.   I often here jokes about bringing food to events to boost attendance but, really there is something comforting and downright fun about having parties where you not only bring the food but prepare it while you party.  I love a good pig pick'n, cook-out, tail-gate, peanut-boil, bonfire.  Every memory I have of each of these food centered parties is more about the people...the good conversation, stories, jokes and even as a child the games.  How many hours of the kick-the-can, capture the flag, freeze-tag, and plane ole hide-n-seek running around laughing adults do these events conjure?  Untold!  The sounds, sights, and smells are all wrapped up in one big wonderful memory.  So when I smell the smoke from a fire pit or a grill it's not just my mouth that waters for those first few sensational moments I am transported back in time to laughter and wonderful memories with family and friends.

This week I relived some good times with a BBQ pork recipe that tasted like I had smoked the pig all day but with all most none of the work.  I combined it with some good ole coleslaw and fresh rolls and well you know....

1 slow-cooker liner 
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 TBS each paprika and dried minced onion
1 and 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 and 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp allspice (optiona
l...I left it out)
2-2.5lb bone in pork shoulder roast
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sliced scallions
24 small dinner rolls, split
Accompaniments: hot sauce and coleslaw

1. Line a 4-qt or larger slow-cooker with liner.  MIx 1 TBS of the brown sugar, the paprika, minced onion, chili powder, salt, garlic powder and allspice(if using).  Sprinkle 1 TBS of mixture into the bottom of the slow-cooker.  Rub remaining mixture over pork.  Add vinegar and remaining brown sugar to slow-cooker; stir to mix.  Add pork.

2. Cover and cook on l
ow 8-10 hours until the pork 
is fork-tender.  Shred the pork in slow-cooker; add scallions and toss to coat.

3.  Put about 1/4 cup onto each bun bottom.  Top with bun tops.










Per serving (3 sliders):  596 calories, 39 g pro, 48 g car, 3 g fiber, 26 g fat (9 g sat fat), 110 mg chol, 948 mg sod

Recipe compliments of "Woman's Day magazine p 86 June 2009

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin