Projects

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cranberry Pot Roast



Roast is one of my family's favorite meals but it can get boring really fast. I don't serve it as often as they would like in fear of us all becoming bored to death with it. However, I think this recipe helps prevent that. My family may love the fact that this recipe includes roast but I am crazy about it because it uses my crock pot. OH JOY! Little to no prep and my crock pot does the rest. Oh that all recipes could be so simple.


Adapted from Holiday Cooking 2004 p47

  • 1 3lb beef brisket (I used what I had on hand – chuck roast)

  • 1 tablespoon cooking oil

  • 1 cup sliced celery (I didn't use)

  • ¾ cup green or red sweet pepper

  • ½ cup chopped onion

  • ½ cup water

  • 1 clove garlic, minced

  • 1 16-ounce can whole cranberry sauce

  • 1 15- to 16- ounce can marinara sauce
  1. Trim fat from beef brisket or roast. Sprinkle roast with salt and ground black pepper. In a skillet, cook roast in hot oil about 10 minutes (5 min each side) until browned, turning once. Remove roast from the skillet and place in crock pot. Add onion and garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add celery and sweet pepper and cook for 2 minutes more. Add water and simmer over medium heat just until the veggies are tender about 5 minutes. Add the cranberry sauce and marinara sauce; cook til bubbly about 5 more minutes.

  2. Pour the sauce mixture over the roast in crock pot and cook for 4-6 hours. Serve with sauce. If the sauce needs to be thickened, mine didn't, boil sauce gently, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes or until it thickens. Makes 6-8 servings.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin