Projects

Friday, June 11, 2010

Growing Up Is Hard to Do

No excuses am I making but just telling the plain awful truth…Joaquin has slept with Rodrigo and I for the last year. It started out just occaisionaly when he was sick so I could keep an eye on him and give him his breathing treatments more easily throughout the night but then developed into him just plain ole going to bed with us. We have known for quite a while that we needed to break the habit and have been pondering the how part. Now you must know that we realize that as a parent we could just force him to sleep in his own bed but something a friend quoted me once has stuck with me. She said something to the essence of "good parenting is not forcing our children but helping them to make the right choice while still allowing them to choose". With this thought in mind I capitalized on an opportunity. Joaquin is beginning soccer next week for the very first time. So, I sat him down and explained to him that being able to play soccer was an indication of how grown-up he was getting and that as a "big boy" he needed to sleep in his own bed. That is just what big boys do. He understood and didn't argue just simply stated but Mom, I'll have bad dreams. I quickly told him that we wouldn't begin this new habit for a few days to allow him time to mentally prepare and that his father would give him a blessing that would help him feel calm and peaceful about sleeping alone. I told him it would be OK because Heavenly Father would be with him and because of this he is never alone. He responded with but Heavenly Father isn't there in the room with me…I can't see him. I explained that although we can't see Heavenly Father we feel his presence through the power of the Holy Ghost. This seemed to satisfy his concerns…TO BE CONTINUED…

1 comment:

Josien said...

thanks for sharing Karmen.. the 'force'thing definitly is not working for us now and i was looking for some inspiration and you gave me at least a new thought.. thanks :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin